Monday 31 March 2014

RRaw Homework: Political and Street Art

The Street Art in the area that I've been raised in have always interested me, i have always wondered what the artists inspirations were. One that i vividly remember was the "Biggie Smalls" piece that was stencilled at the local park. Still till this day i wonder why they put that there. At the time, Hip Hop and Rap was very common in the teens, but i still haven't figured it out. Maybe they were encouraging locals to listen to his music? il never know. Ive seen many different artists create walls of art at the local shops, i bet now there are layers and layers of spray paint. This made me proud to be local because the works where so beautiful and tricky to read, because it was actually what we call Graffiti. Some times they would spray paint pictures of flowers, women with beautiful hair, green monsters, robots and more. And to this day i never actually figured out a storey behind these works.


In the Pacific Community things such as diabetes, obesity, and other health problem are a major issue that i think are affecting my community. Its not so much what they want me to say, more what they need to hear. A wake up call. My audience would be the pacific islanders that are in danger of regretful diseases that can be prevented. My art techniques would involve things such as bold text and images that would give my audience an idea of there ideal future if they aren't cautious. Images like a morgue or pictures of statistics of the Pacific Islanders death rates due to diabetes, obesity, and other health problems. Other images such comparing styled images for example a chicken salad and its fat and sugar content compared to a quarter pack from KFC. Id use quotes from current famous people who have suffered consequences from eating unhealthy eating habits. I would put this type of Art near takeaways and popular food places. I believe that political art does have a place in my life because the messages that i receive from it are very powerful,

1 comment:

  1. You answered the first question, talking about diabetes and obesity and other health problems as an issue in your community. I think that your audience is a good choice because I myself see this problem too. Also you talked about the art techniques you would use which are "Bold text and images". But I think you should use other positive images rather than morgues and stats to get your message across, images like exercise activity or programme to encourage your audience instead of scare them. That is a good place for your work to be displayed. You should elaborate more on the last question.

    ReplyDelete